Still on the fence about Boskone? Consider checking us out on Friday, February 17th for an afternoon of free programming. That’s right, from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm Boskone is FREE and open to the public!
For our third free Friday afternoon, we’ve packed in even more programming to give you a taste of why so many people love Boskone. With more than 25 program items, including panels, autographings, and reading from your favorite authors, Boskone offers a little something for everyone.
Here’s a glimpse at some of the items scheduled during Free Friday afternoon.
- Temperament and the Writer
- Panelists: Leigh Perry (M), Esther Friesner, Richard Shealy, Ian Randal Strock, Steve Davidson
- How can a writer cope with the ups and downs of the writing biz? We thought about using the following title and description, but not all writers are miserable depressives!
- Why You Should NOT Become a Writer: [NOTE: Presented as a public service by Boskone.] Listen to us, we beg you! Writing is long lonely hours of cruel labor and dismal self-doubt, plus humiliation (publishers) and indifference (the public). Our experts will share their most horrifying stories of the degradation and despair of every writer’s life. If you’re smart you won’t even show up. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
- My Toughest Book
- Panelists: Brandon Sanderson, Charles Stross, Walter Jon Williams, Darlene Marshall (M), Allen M. Steele
- What makes a book difficult to write, or difficult to write well? Is ignorance of the subject matter a barrier? Is knowing too much? We’re always told to “write what you know, ” but can this be a trap? How about troubles with plot, character, dialog, or pacing? Our panel of authors recall which of their works had the most arduous gestation.
- Climate Change in SF/F/H
- Panelists: Jeff Hecht, Vincent Docherty, Tom Easton, Allen M. Steele (M), Justine Graykin
- The political temperature on this topic is not all that’s rising. How are our authors covering this? What’s more interesting to read and write about: possible solutions or post-apocalyptic disasters? Who’s got the best hot take?
- Autograph session: Brandon Sanderson, Milton Davis
- Reading by Christopher Golden
And so much more! Check out our full program schedule to see what Boskone has in store for you.
After 6:00 pm on Friday and through the rest of the convention, you’ll need to purchase an attending membership to stay and enjoy the events, panels, interviews, games, and more! Weekend passes as well as day passes are available.
Come early, stay late, and return for more. It all begins at 2:00 pm on Friday, February 17. See you there!